Re: 10g RAC using raw devices - curiousity question

From: Martin Klier <usn_at_usn-it.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:21:20 +0200

Hi Christopher,

anything that improves storage IO power will help, basically. Stuff like aligning disks etc.

In fact, you are using ASM, true? There are several sources on the web for ASM tuning, I think you will have more success on this layer.

I don't know if you can get much news from that, but it might be worth looking at:

http://www.orafaq.com/papers/tuning_asm.pdf
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/asm-2.pdf
http://www.pythian.com/news/204/asm-multi-disk-performance/

But my conclusion, after working with ASM since Oracle Version 10.1 is, that usually it works quite good out of the box - IF you don't make very basic and insane mistakes.

So the performance gain with making it better thatn "good" might be sobering...

Anyway, I hope it helps a bit...

Best regards
Martin Klier

Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net schrieb:
> We have some dss type reports that run on this 10g RAC database using ASM and raw devices and I have created a schema logon trigger to set some session parameters for the report login.
> I'm curious if there are specific Oracle parameters (hidden or not) that I should explore/test/research related to raw device I/O and how to improve it?
>
> Some things bouncing around in my head (in no particular order) are buffered/unbuffered IOs, sorting multiblock IOs etc.
>
> I'm not looking for silver bullets and have put a lot of time in on improving the query runtimes at the database level (the queries are housed inside a Business Objects report on the business objects server and so far I haven't been able to get them moved into the database layer).
>
> So if you guys know of any particular IO type parameters that will improve raw device IO performance, I'd be interested in hearing them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk
http://www.usn-it.de