10g RAC using raw devices - curiousity question

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 15:45:50 -0500

We have some dss type reports that run on this 10g RAC database using ASM and raw devices and I have created a schema logon trigger to set some session parameters for the report login. I'm curious if there are specific Oracle parameters (hidden or not) that I should explore/test/research related to raw device I/O and how to improve it?

Some things bouncing around in my head (in no particular order) are buffered/unbuffered IOs, sorting multiblock IOs etc.

I'm not looking for silver bullets and have put a lot of time in on improving the query runtimes at the database level (the queries are housed inside a Business Objects report on the business objects server and so far I haven't been able to get them moved into the database layer).

So if you guys know of any particular IO type parameters that will improve raw device IO performance, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Regards,

Chris