Re: Oracle and SQL server together?

From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin_at_ymail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:36:14 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure if Jeremiah Wilton is out on this list, but last year at RMOUG Training Days, he was doing a comparison of Oracle to SQL Server and had the opposite problem that we looked into-  No matter what the settings for Oracle he set for SGA_TARGET, SGA_MAX_SIZE, it was starving SQL Server!.  I believe he was on Win 2008 with 11g and MsSQL 2008 for the comparison.  He was doing everything correctly, but there was some odd *memory leak* on the Oracle side.  If he does see this, maybe he has more light to shed since the event. As a long-time Oracle/SQL Server DBA, (yes, I do both, working on a chapter on a book for each right now, there's no escape! :))  I have run Oracle and MsSQL on the same physical box often.  I have found that they do run well together and not many issues outside of the standard issues most DBA's run into with Oracle on Windows vs. Linux/Unix flavors of the OS.
-Do not let memory be dynamically allocated or adjusted for either Oracle or MsSQL.  Figure out what each one needs and SET VALUES.
-Know that you should apply the monthly Widows updates and that this will require db downtime to do.
-If you have the opportunity to choose your OS/db platform, do choose Win 2008 R2 and MsSQL 2008 R2.  The enhancements to these were not actually that minor and are worth the investment.
-Ensure you have the CPU and memory resources you need to run both databases!  Verify this with AWR/ASH reports, (I know, licensing!) and query the DMVs in MsSQL to ensure that you do not have performance issues where one database can be impacting the other.

VM's come in very handy to test out the requirements for this type of scenario, too.  Build it up, run workloads against it, allocate resources to figure out what you are going to need come go-live... :)

Hope this helps,

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Senior Technical Consultant
Enkitec
DBAKevlar.com
RMOUG Director of Training Days 2013

~Tombez sept fois, se relever huit!

 From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
To: RStorey_at_DCSO.nashville.org
Cc: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:34 AM Subject: Re: Oracle and SQL server together?

Not recently, but I have in the past. In my experience SQL Server ties in rather intimately with the OS and will starve Oracle (or any other application for that matter) for resources. This was even noticeable when running VMWare instances in an ESX pool with some VMs running SQLServer and others running Oracle (not sure how the SQLServer VMs coexisted..).  If memory serves well, that last configuration involved Windows 2000/2003, SQL Server 2003 and Oracle 10gR2.

I tend to fight for a dedicated server where I can.. :)

Cheers,
Tony