Dataguard role switching procedure with active GoldenGate replication - is there a best practice?

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:05:25 +1000

G'day!

I've got a production database (9i) running on an old server A in the "Production" data centre, a new 11g database on server B in the "DR" data centre and an active dataguard standby on server C, which is in the "Production" data centre. There is a GoldenGate extract and a datapump on server A, and 4 GoldenGate Replicats on server B (in "DR"). The plan is to migrate the 9i database on server A (Production) to server B (DR) and perform a switch so that server C will eventually run production.

The problem that now arises is that due to a change in the project the role switch between server B (DR, now primary) and server C (Production, currently standby) has to be made whilst replication with GoldenGate is still in place. The 4 replicats will therefore need to be moved from server B to server C as part of the role switch. As this is a financial system, and the intended future production environment, it is unacceptable to loose even one transaction in the process.

I was thinking of stopping the datapump extract on server A, noting where it left off (trail file, RBA), and allowing the replicats on server B to finish applying all trail files that were shipped. Then create a new datapump extract to pump to server C, and create new replicats on server C that then can start applying with the first trail file they find. This would narrow the point of failure to only the datapump, which can be instructed to start exactly at the point where the original pump was stopped.

I wonder if this scenario is anywhere near best practice, or indeed whether best practices for switching the GG target database over to the standby do exist?

Cheers,
Tony