Re: check for existence of an object by v$mystat?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:07:25 -0700 (PDT)

> Is it somehow reasonable to tell the existence of an object by the higher
> "recursive calls" for a ORA-00942 on an existing object (in comparison
> to a non-existing object) ?

Martin,

So you want to infer there's ORA-942 (table or view does not exist) from statistics. You may also want to take in account the session's "parse count (failures)" statistic, which of course increments in other cases than ORA-942. My note lists different scenarios (see section "What errors cause parse failures?")" http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/parse_failure.txt

And, when you test your session's "recursive calls" and "execute counts", you may want to monitor this session from another session instead of querying v$mystat which itself causes these stats to increment.

To accurately record ORA-942 on the server side (not more not less), you can just set event 942 errorstack at a low level.

Yong Huang