Re: Execution plan changing

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:41:26 -0400

Michael,
Optimizer feedback being enabled results in the Oracle Cost Based Optimizer intentionally changing the execution plan based upon prior executions of the statement.

https://blogs.oracle.com/optimizer/entry/cardinality_feedback

The bogus parameter that I included in the prior post was intended as a joke.
If you want to disable cardinality feedback to limit the number of variables to consider in testing, execute the following:

alter system set "_optimizer_use_feedback"=false scope=both;

Typically one is not supposed to set underscore parameters without the direction of Oracle Support.
This is one of the parameters that is an exception to that rule. Please check the following notes in Metalink.

Cardinality Feedback - Frequently Asked Questions [ID 1344937.1]

Bug 8608703 - SubOptimal Execution Plan created by Cardinality Feedback [ID 8608703.8]

hth.

Paul