DB_FILES and memory usage

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:49:36 +0000

Hi all,
I got basically a non-answer from support on this, so I'll ask here (which is probably what I should have done in the first place :)).

In one of our largest databases, we are close to the limit set by DB_FILES - it is set to 1000, and we have 977 datafiles already. We have a maintenance window coming up where we can change this. Before we just randomly pick a number out of the air, we're hoping to get some sense of the memory allocation this will entail. Two main questions, really:

  1. There is inconsistency (I think) in the documentation I have found. The official 10g doc (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/dfiles.htm#i1206187) seems to say memory is allocated from the SGA. Support notes 148466.1 and 119507.1 both seem to say it is allocated from the PGA. Does anyone know which of these is correct? Either? Both? My inclination is toward the SGA, but I don't know how to prove it...
  2. How about amount of memory consumption? If we are looking to double DB_FILES to 2000 - is there some way to know how much additional memory we will allocate for this?

Thanks,
stephan

Stephan Uzzell