RE: rhel upgrade - rhel 5.6 to rhel linux 6

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:24:54 -0400

No rac here, just single db instance using asm.

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 00:22:39 +0800
Subject: Re: rhel upgrade - rhel 5.6 to rhel linux 6 From: sinosuse_at_gmail.com
To: ganstadba_at_hotmail.com
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

well, it depends on how you use ASM, since you're using udev, it should not be ok, but... it doesnt support ROLLING UPGRADE yet.

because when 1 el6 node and 1 el5 node share the 1 storage, it's not stable/safe.

If the os upgrade is a MUST, I recommend you to backup all data, shutdown stacks, upgrade os 1 by 1 and re-install clusterware/db, up stacks, if no errors, use addnode to plus the rest then.... I think it a good idea to freshinstall after os upgrade on somenodes...

Thanks,
-suse

2012/9/4 Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>

current

rhel 5.6

oracle 11.2.0.2 with asm(udev) and oem agents

sysadmins would like to upgrade to rhel linux 6.

I'm thinking we would upgrade to 11.2.0.3 and then do the linux upgrade. I'm worried that asm would have troubles. I would prefer to just set up new vm's with rhel 6 and the impdp the data. I'll start testing but am wondering if anyone has done this.

Thanks

Mike

Regards,
-suse