RE: password going to expire

From: Freeman CTR Donald <donald.freeman.ctr_at_usmc.mil>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:21:24 -0400

Once you've gotten into the expiration warning changing the profile doesn't seem to extend the expiration. Change the password and the new profile will be in effect going forward. If you are like us that is not always a satisfactory answer. We experience a great deal of turmoil due to mandatory password expirations on things like application and service accounts. Those have to be promulgated for use in various locations and have to be coordinated. I would surmise a lot of outages occur because of bad password management processes. At least they do here.
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of dba1 mcc Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:29 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: password going to expire

We have ORACLE database on ORACLE 11.2.0.3 when I use "sqlplus" login and get warning:

Enter user-name: user1
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-28002: the password will expire within 1 days

I double check password_life_time set to 180 (default).  I change it to unlimited.

SQL>  alter profile default limit PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME unlimited;

I still get same warning:

Enter user-name: user1
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-28002: the password will expire within 1 days

Anyone know why?

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Sep 05 2012 - 07:21:24 CDT

Original text of this message