Re: To patch or not to patch?

From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 08:39:56 +0200

Michaei,

For any action (so also for patching) please find out the need/reason first. Is anything broken? (fix it)
Is there a corporate ruleset (like "apply all security patches within x days")? Either follow it or question it n a formal base - there should be change/review prozesses for such policies. There might be other reasons, just make sure they are defined before executed.

For Patching you can either create a new ORACLE_HOME for every new patset(s) you want to run (and change , or patch existing OHs. Both methods have (dis)advantages.

If you have several environments make soure you have any kind of revision vontrol sytem for your patch-bundles and document which Instances are running with them - otherwise it can lead to a big mess.

Just my ideas,
 Martin