RE: Looking for discussion on using large-ish PGA/SGA for PROD vs DEV/QA

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:12:27 -0500

The PGA portion that has me scratching my head a bit is that a 5G PGA increases the *_area_size parameters (hash_area_size, sort_area_size etc). I was thinking (now I'm wondering if I'm mistaken) that by increasing hash_area_size, Oracle will favor hash joins, but now I'm wondering if that's actually true. I'm thinking maybe it's not and that value only matters when Oracle chooses to apply a hash join?

(The reason I went down this path a little bit was because I was noticing a Nested Loops preference in the other environments and a hash join preference in production. I checked the db parameters and objects and all the objects matched but the sga/pga parameters were significantly different - and the data is different too so it was kind of a rabbit trail really)

I'm with you on examing the SQL and access paths as the primary goal of tuning before tweaking parameters.

Thanks for the input Hans - always appreciated. (Any other thoughts are always welcome)

Chris