Re: Database upgrade for big database

From: Kamus <kamusis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:31:53 +0800

We did a lot of database migration and upgrade works in the past few years, from 9i to 10g to 11g. Yes, the method you mentioned is the best process if source and target has the same platform, incase you can't use Data Guard due to different platform, you can use Goldengate (or MV refresh if has budget concern) to sync data before downtime. In this process, the initial data load is the most difficult part, you have to consider how to split the big tables into little pieces (if unfortunately in your database has some big tables without partition) to make initial works quickly to avoid ORA-1555 error.
--
Kamus <kamusis_at_gmail.com>

Visit my blog for more : http://www.dbform.com
Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org