RE: log file sync (now EBS, RAC, PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS)

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:11:00 -0400

Youch!

If you really can't fit your processing need on a single node, then you usually need to set up application affinity for EBS to fight less with RAC architecture. So you probably do not want to allow parallel queries to cross nodes. (You might I suppose if you have a blackout period to run certain jobs against nothing else, the archetype being open GL period, but even then it is not a certainty that will run faster on multiple nodes than on a single node.)

So unless you've got a really good reason you should configure so that parallel queries on EBS systems cannot cross node boundaries.

Next, with the concurrent manager being able to schedule jobs so that you can eat up pretty much all the resources on all the nodes, there is a real question of overall throughput about whether you want any single job to run in parallel ever. (Please notice I wrote "real question" and that a real world load mix and real world demands for some individual job to complete more quickly may mean allowing it to run in parallel justifies sacrificing overall throughput. Keeping some broad resource hog out of "prime time" [if in this increasingly global world you still have a "prime time"] might also justify running some job in parallel even if the consumer does not need it in a hurry. This tends to be true of large update batch jobs, so if you can "de-heat" the undo for when routine queries are heavier you can reduce the total work required to execute the overall load.)

Good luck.

mwf