RE: 11.2 clusterware vip relocate but VIP does not respond

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:12:11 +0000

Thanks Andrew. Let me look at that, I didn't find it. I believe this issue is within the same sub-net, but now I'm not sure. When I started testing I did the ping from a jumpbox, and the other GG system is obviously in a different subnet. From: Andrew Kerber [mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:59 PM To: Walker, Jed S
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: 11.2 clusterware vip relocate but VIP does not respond

It might be related to this bug:
Bug 13440962 - Different subnet failed to connect to vip after restart vip [ID 13440962.8]

This is a regression fix for problem introduced by patch 11069846. The change in this patch (patch 13440962) fixes a problem with 4 extra bytes in the GARP message and removes an extra unicast GARP packet to the router.

Rediscovery Notes:
After upgrading to 11.2.0.3, after vip failover, the ip address is  not pingable from a different subnet on Linux.  (This problem is seen only on Linux)

Workaround
After vip failover, run command

   /sbin/arping -U -c 3 -I <public NIC for vip> <vip ip address>  to update the ARP table of router.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com<mailto:Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>> wrote: I've got an 11.2.0.3 RAC and am using a clusterware VIP and resource. When I relocate the VIP via the resource (e.g. crsctl relocate resource -f gg_app...) the VIP shows up on the new node, but cannot be reached. If I do an "arping" then the vip starts replying. We believe this is a network type thing, but the network group is wondering what Oracle using to advertise the VIP. If I don't arping then eventually it starts responding. Has anyone seen this type of issue (not finding anything on google or MOS)?

-Jed

Andrew W. Kerber

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Aug 23 2012 - 08:12:11 CDT

Original text of this message