Re: 11.2 clusterware vip relocate but VIP does not respond

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:58:52 -0500

It might be related to this bug:
*Bug 13440962 - Different subnet failed to connect to vip after restart vip [ID 13440962.8]*

This is a regression fix for problem introduced by patch 11069846.

The change in this patch (patch 13440962) fixes a problem with 4 extra

bytes in the GARP message and removes an extra unicast GARP packet to

the router.

Rediscovery Notes:

After upgrading to 11.2.0.3, after vip failover, the ip address is

 not pingable from a different subnet on Linux.

 (This problem is seen only on Linux)

*Workaround*

After vip failover, run command

   /sbin/arping -U -c 3 -I <public NIC for vip> <vip ip address>

 to update the ARP table of router.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com
> wrote:

> I've got an 11.2.0.3 RAC and am using a clusterware VIP and resource. When
> I relocate the VIP via the resource (e.g. crsctl relocate resource -f
> gg_app...) the VIP shows up on the new node, but cannot be reached. If I do
> an "arping" then the vip starts replying. We believe this is a network type
> thing, but the network group is wondering what Oracle using to advertise
> the VIP. If I don't arping then eventually it starts responding.
> Has anyone seen this type of issue (not finding anything on google or MOS)?
>
> -Jed

Andrew W. Kerber