RE: Tnsnames mystery

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:21:04 -0500

It isn't default, but is useful when working around an ODBC driver bug (Getting Junk Characters in Drop Down List for TNS Service Name [ID 882357.1]). I'm not sure where else it's useful, but that's how I learned about it.

Thanks,
T. J.

From: TJ Kiernan [mailto:tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:13 AM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); paul.baumgartel_at_ubs.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Cc: TJ Kiernan
Subject: RE: Tnsnames mystery

If I recall correctly, TNS_ADMIN can also be set in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_homename), which probably did not get cleaned out with the uninstall. I would expect that your search for TNSNAMES.ora would have turned up another file, unless there's a hidden version of the file somewhere.

Thanks,
T. J.

From: paul.baumgartel_at_ubs.com [mailto:paul.baumgartel_at_ubs.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:54 AM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Tnsnames mystery

What kind of client machine? What's the value of NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH in sqlnet.ora? Have you tried temporarily removing renaming your new tnsnames.ora to see what happens on tnsping?

Paul Baumgartel
UBS AG
Group Finance Accounting Solutions
400 Atlantic Street