Tablespace recover from RMAN cold backup.

From: Nisha Mohan <NishaMohan_A_at_infosys.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:43:34 +0000

Hi,
I am new to RMAN .Kindly help me with the following issue. I have taken RMAN cold backup using following procedure. $rman target /

RMAN> backup database;

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF; # default CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/oracle/ora10gr4/dbs/snapcf_DBTEST.f'; # default

After taking the above backup,I tried to delete a tablespace for recovering it from RMAN backup as follows.

SQL> select count(*) from AMT;
  COUNT(*)

       563

 SQL> select TABLESPACE_NAME from dba_tables where table_name='AMT'; TABLESPACE_NAME

AMT_1 SQL> select FILE_NAME from dba_data_files where TABLESPACE_NAME='ACCT_DETAILS_3'; FILE_NAME

/data/DBTEST//DATA_FILES/AMT_1.dbf

SQL> drop tablespace AMT_1 INCLUDING CONTENTS; Tablespace dropped.

Now I tried to recover database as follows.

RMAN> alter database mount;
RMAN> set dbid&0103938;
RMAN> startup mount;
RMAN> restore database;

I could not see the datafile AMT_1.dbf in the datafile list shown by 'restore database' command.

RMAN> restore tablespace AMT_1;

Starting restore at 20-AUG-12
using target database control file instead of recovery catalog allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: sid†3 devtype=DISK

RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 08/20/2012 14:43:14
RMAN-20202: tablespace not found in the recovery catalog RMAN-06019: could not translate tablespace name " AMT_1"

Kindly let me know what am I missing.

Thanks and Regards,
Nisha Mohan.A

  • CAUTION - Disclaimer ***************** This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system. ***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***