RE: stale ASM alert logs

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:15:31 +0000

Good thinking but that isn't it. I did "show parameter background" and it is the directory I'm checking in. It doesn't appear the instance itself thinks it is somewhere else. Anyone have other ideas?

SQL> show parameter background

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
background_core_dump                 string      partial
background_dump_dest                 string      /oracle/grid/diag/asm/+asm/+AS
                                                 M1/trace
SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production With the Real Application Clusters and Automatic Storage Management options
(oracle) node-01:+ASM1:/home/oracle

->cd /oracle/grid/diag/asm/+asm/+ASM1/trace
(oracle) node-01:+ASM1:/oracle/grid/diag/asm/+asm/+ASM1/trace
->ll -rt

total 512
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 479574 May 11 05:26 alert_+ASM1.log
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba   1302 Jul 20 17:07 +ASM1_rbal_27847.trm
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba  21185 Jul 20 17:07 +ASM1_rbal_27847.trc
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba     71 Jul 25 16:10 +ASM1_lmon_27827.trm
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba    934 Jul 25 16:10 +ASM1_lmon_27827.trc

From: alanbort_at_gmail.com [mailto:alanbort_at_gmail.com] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:38 PM To: Walker, Jed S
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: stale ASM alert logs

have you checked the background_dump_dest parameter in the ASM instance? are you sure you are looking at the correct alert log? sometimes I've seen ASM loosing the pfile and going back to default configs, which include the alert log location.

hth
Alan.-