Re: ASM of any significant value when switching to Direct NFS / NetApp / non-RAC?

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:54:36 +0100

Dana,
If I were you I would be asking how much investment is going into the NetApps solution. Currently we use SAN/ASM for most of our production databases (the ones that do not use ASM with local disks), but that is because when the last big change came the "company" was not willing to invest with NetApp, mostly I suspect for the aforementioned political reasons, the people in charge knew nothing about NetApps. Now I think we will be moving to NetApps as a solution and dropping ASM, because there has been heavy investment in a much faster network to NFS mount the storage and the filers themselves are in high availability clusters. As Connor mentioned Netapps have lots of features to deal with issues such as store migration. Also you can use Oracle Managed Files with them too.

Regards
Pete