Export dump file recovery from filesystem crash

From: Rich <richa03_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:26:38 -0700

Hello Listers,
This is 10.2.0.4 on RHEL 5.6 x86_64

We [datapump] export using FILESIZE=5120M and the %U parameter for the DUMPFILE spec which produces one or more files limited by the value of this parameter.

We had an ext3 partition which contains Oracle export dump file sets fail (scrambled some directory entry datastructures) and are trying to recover the data.

We fsck'd the disk and now have various files with the inode as their name in Lost+found for this partition.

We have recovered the log files for these exports and, thus, have the filenames for each one of the files in each set.

We can get the last file in the set by grep'ing a strings of the inode file for the DUMPFILE spec enabling us to recover this file, however, what about the others in the file set?

Does Oracle store anything in the dump file parts which indicates what the original filename was or which set it belongs to?

Is there potentially a better way to try to recover these files (from the OS)?

I can open an SR, however, thought I'd first ask here...

Thanks in advance for your help,
Rich