Configuring primary for a failover (alternate) remote destination

From: Fuad Habash <fmhabash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:09:13 -0400

on host_2. However, I also want the primary db to continue transporting redo to dest_3 on node_3 when node_2 is taken down (planned or unplanned). My research led me to 2 ways to doing this ... 1) Configure the ALTERNATE attribute of dest_2 to point to dest_3. 2) Configure tnsnames client-side failover on primary host to point to 2 nodes (node_2 and node_3).
Have you done this before. If yes, please provide real-life experience on how you implemented it?