Re: CWSPEEDNW/CPUSPEED vs. actual Cpu speed

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:56:47 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Ken,

> I have a system that when system stats are gathered (using either no
> workload or with a workload) show a value of about 1260 for
> cpuspeed/cpuspeednw. The server is IBM p7 with 3.5ghtz cpu's. I expected the
> values returned by oracle to be close to 3500. Is my assumption incorrect?
> Is there a direct correlation between actual clock speeds and the value
> reported by the database? DB version is 11.2.0.3.

The 3.5Ghz of your POWER7 cannot be compared to the 2.1Ghz of an AMD Opteron 6272 or even the 4.2Ghz of the POWER6 I'm on. They are different architectures and/or generations of processors. Clock speed is meaningless here.

It seems more likely that the values for those AUX_STATS$ columns are a relative speed that Oracle calculates to have a consistent baseline for optimization where CPU is involved.

BTW, the numbers for my POWER6 are 1915 and 983+ for CPUSPEED/CPUSPEEDNW, respectively.

HTH! Enjoy!

Rich