Re: Linux Native Multipath, ASM and Instance Failures

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:19:42 +0100

Jon,

On 26/07/2012 23:08, CRISLER, JON A wrote:
> you want to check your multipath.conf to make sure it has all the right options
that's probably the most important point: check your vendor documentation to ensure that the devices {} are set according to what you need. There are subtle differences in the way that I/Os are distributed, what the library does when it can't write to a device, and which method should be used for path checking. The differences exist even with different product lines of the same vendor: VNX and Symmetrix for example have different entries in the devices {} section! I'm sure the same applies to any other storage product.

There are metalink notes on how to set up multipath.conf in RHEL 5 but although broadly speaking they are correct, they are not necessarily optimal for your configuration.

What's of importance when troubleshooting this kind of problem are kernel (uname -a), and the dm-multipath RPM version. There were known issues in 5.5 but they have alledgedly been fixed in 5.6 and later.

Hope this helps,

Martin