Re: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:14:49 +0100

On 18/07/12 13:02, Tim Hall wrote:
> TOAD is a cash cow for Quest. Lots of companies keep buying licenses
> because they can't be bothered to check the (free) alternatives. It's
> a product that really needs to be put out of its misery for all our
> sakes. Yes I really do hate that product!

What's wrong with a company making money from a product? Oracle makes money from their database, for example, why not Quest?

There's a perfectly good free version of Toad as well. I use it myself from time to time, and I'm more of a DBA that a Developer.

I've got databases from 7.3.4 up through 11.2.0.3 to look after and some of the free tools, including Oracle's own, cannot connect to the older versions. Toad quite happily does - as long as there is a suitable client of course. Even with a suitable client, Oracle's own "toad killer" tool won't connect. (Caveat - unless it has changed recently of course!)

Support for Toad is excellent too, you can talk directly with the developers on the support groups, and you also get the benefits of the Toad MVPs as well - Rich, Ed and (declaration of interest) myself.

You can even run Toad on Linux.

Obviously, we all have our opinions.

Cheers,
Norm.