Re: New metalink

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:50:44 -0700 (PDT)

Absolutely annoying. But Rich, it's you that suggested to us to use the Firefox addon Check4Change? Anyway, I find that directly linked URLs won't time out, e.g. https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=<document ID>

> http://wd3032.us.oracle.com:7777/epmos/faces/ui/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=1018855.1
> Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to wd3032.us.oracle.com:7777

Yeah, you have to construct the URL yourself (see above), or just replace "wd3032.us.oracle.com:7777" with "support.oracle.com".

> looks like they just replace spaces with % in a query

I tried a few searches but can't reproduce. Do you have an example?

The biggest loss in the search capability happened when Metalink was gone four years ago. We can no longer search for "user$" or "obj#" without losing the $ or # sign.