Re: New metalink

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:44:41 -0500 (CDT)

> Remember how much we hated the flash based version of My Oracle Support
> when it was introduced?

Absolutely.

> I hate the new version even more.

I'm not sure about that, but I have a huge problem with its usability. I'm researching upgrades which necessitates manually removing every module installed by DBCA (e.g. OLAP, Data Mining). That's at least 15 MOS articles, not to mention the countless others that were used to find those with the answers.

Managing that in a single window/tab without the ability to reliably use a standard modern browser's "back" functionality is an exercise in futility (sanity?). So I figured out where I can middle-click links to open them in a new tab, thereby minimizing my work -- or so I thought. Enter the hard-coded inflexible 1-hour timeout. I go to lunch and each tab times out, completely losing my train of research because the refresh after acknowledging the timeout cannot re-display the article I was looking at. Compounding that issue, if one tab times out, others appear to silently as well causing a cascading failure of all MOS'd tabs.

The bookmark functionality needs serious improvement as well. I just keep them in a local wiki because there's no easy way to manage them within MOS, IMHO. I've opened an SR regarding the tab issue and timeouts. I have ZERO hope of ever having the timeout flexible, regardless of how it hampers the site's usability for the customer, due to perceived security issues. All I want is a 4-hour timeout. I loathe being pigeonholed with other Oracle customers who do not have the ability to manage themselves in a secure fashion on the internet, which I can only assume is the reason for the unreasonable (to me) timeout value.

Some things have definitely improved in MOS, and I'm grateful for that, but it's become incredibly more difficult for me to research MOS articles with the newer HTML interface (and I've been using it since its inception).

Enough soapbox. Upgrading...

Rich