Re: udev VS oracleasm disk aliasing - preferences?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 16:32:58 +0100

Well, Wim Coekaerts has an excellent blog on what asmlib is just out. https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/asmlib . I'm assuming you mean asmlib in this context. I have long suggested that asmlib is pretty pointless (though that is changing for Oracle storage hardware) as it merely handles persistent naming and disk labelling and operating systems do that better. In addition you *will* need to upgrade asmlib every time you do a kernel update (say for a security patch : 5 of those already this year). If you have multipath devices, which you should have, then mpath and udev integrate pretty well together on current O/S releases. Bottom line asmlib was a proposed standard from oracle which no-one else adopted and life has moved on.

Caveat: asmlib continues to be included in UEK which you probably also ought to be using and there are enhancements for data integrity if the storage manufacturer is oracle.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Taylor, Chris David < ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of any particular system or application reason to favor udev
> over oracleasm or vice versa?
>
> Chris Taylor
>
> "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent
> effort."
> -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)
>
> Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its
> subsidiaries or its employees.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info