RE: Sizing Redo log files

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:47:02 -0400

Another point being that you can increase the peak "cache" total volume by having enough log groups without overinflating the size of each log. This is especially useful if from time to time your redo generation rate in fact exceeds the rate at which you can archive. If the online logs wrap, updates hang until the archiver catches up to free an online redolog group. The default of 3 online redo log groups is not intended to handle high performance loads. If you have a lot of total online redolog size, this may get you through windows where you are generating logs faster than you can archive them.

As long as arch based standbys are not required to be kept in sync with the primary site (meaning either no standby, lgwr based standby, or some other replication technology), arch can fall quite far behind if you have plenty of total space. Adding groups rather than excessive size per log has the advantage of not delaying a switch checkpoint too long and keeping a lot of things at a reasonable monolith size (and what is reasonable will vary based on your detailed operational needs AND with changes in hardware technology.)

IF (not a great idea in my opinion) the online redo logs and the primary archived redo log location share the same underlying media, including any pacing pieces of the technology stack, burst performance demands may require you to generate logs faster than you can archive them. As long as the online logs are themselves at a reasonable level of plexing, that is secure to the limit of site storage failures. Whether that level of safety meets your operational requirements will vary.

In low performance requirement sites, the acceptable range for the SWAG for online redo log size is large and forgiving. For high performance requirements you should set up a test system to drive and test to the various failures and adjust size and count of groups to find a sweet spot that meets your requirements.

Remember to stop when you reach your performance goal (or exceed it by some reasonable margin for error). (See Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha re: CTD)

mwf