Re: Sizing Redo log files

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:48:46 +0100

Jared
I'm pretty sure you have that the wrong way around. I reckon that you've required time to cycle through redo be *less* than time to archive this redo, That'll hurt. I suspect you meant

Make sure that the time required to archive (N) redo logs is less than the time taken to generate (N) redo logs. That ought pretty much to imply make sure the sustained throughput to your arch destination is greater than your sustained redo rate.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Prasad Reddy Subbella <
> Prasad_Subbella_at_infosys.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Please share/guide me the best practices to be used for sizing redo log
> > files.
> >

> > Here's one:
>
> Make sure that the time required to cycle through all (N-1) redo files
> is less than the time it takes to have the archivelogs created
> for (N-1) redo logs.
>
> This should ensure that the archiver will not bump into the redo.
>
> (please correct math if wrong, I am tired)
>
> Jared Still
> Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
> Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

Niall Litchfield