Re: Exception: When others then null !

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:41:07 +0530

when others then null is perfectly valid exception..hence you will not be able to find any note..
you may find some recommendations in PL/SQL documentations that you may give as supporting arguments..

I had always avoided when others then null; instead had written some messages so that I can understand I had reached others..

And I think I am able to understand what you are trying to suggest.. may be you are trying to say that unless there is some message,some code for others the end users will not be able to understand what exactly the interface is doing cause null will not be understood, the interface will standstill there..

eg
When no_data found then
message("No Data Found");
when too_many rows then

   message("Too Many rows found");
When others then
null;

in above code, whenever the program reaches when others then it will just stop there without giving any message..and the end user may say that the program hangs for this particular test case a serious blocker /bug in the interface..

thanks..subodh

On 25 June 2012 12:48, Atanas Cholakov <cholakov_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I found in standard oracle code exception like ¨when others then null¨.
>
> Support now is saying that this is not an issue as long as I don´t get any
>
> error!
>
> Can you please help me by sending a Note or standard oracle document where
>
> they can see that this kind of exception handling must be avoided and is
>
> not a good practice otherwise they will close my service request.
>

> Thank you in advance for your help.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Atanas
> --
> Best Regards
> Atanas Cholakov
>
> Rue Lamartine 24A, Geneva,
> 1203, Switzerland
> Tel: +41 76 730 98 11
>
> NEU: FreePhone 3-fach-Flat mit kostenlosem Smartphone!
> Jetzt informieren: http://mobile.1und1.de/?ac=OM.PW.PW003K20328T7073a

This Gmail Account will be deactivated  in One Months Time