Re: rebalancing partitions

From: Taral Desai <taral.desai_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:40:45 -0500

Without any information regarding what is your table structure and what kind of queries you are doing against this table it's not possible to give any suggestion.
But, if you are going to use hash partition to eliminate IO's then it still depends how much data you are pruning through it.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Oracle 10.2.0.5.7
> if i have a table that is range partitions with 10 ranges. It has local
> indexes. If I want to add hash sub-partitions, how much risk is there that
> query plans will change? We have a vast number of queries, so we can
> re-test a large number of them, but a full regression test may not be
> practical with all the different scenarios. The system is primarily an
> OLTP. This table is about 70 gbs and growing. We are getting increased
> reporting requirements. Parallel works well with partitioning, but I want
> to look at breaking up the partitions into smaller chunks to better take
> advantage of parallel processing for reports that are increasing in
> complexity.
>
> This is 17 year old database with a vast amount of existing code. It is
> extremely high volumes. Peak OLTP rates are in the 100s of thousands a
> minute and we have some queries that need to have sub-second response time.
> So any change like this needs to be investigated). I know about parallel
> and increased cpu usage. These are off hours reports.
>
> Before I move forward with this, I am trying to get some background info to
> figure out a level of effort and risk.

Thanks & Regards,
Taral Desai