Re: Virtualbox images for EM 12c, DataGuard, RAC, GoldenGate / run multiple simultaneous OL5 images on Win7?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:42:55 -0600

On 20/06/2012 8:23 AM, Taylor, Chris David wrote:
> Regarding the logon as a batch job, that's required on Windows Server installations as well (Windows Server 2003, 2008). To me, that's part of installing Oracle on Windows as configuring Kernel parameter on Linux is part of installing Oracle on Linux. It's a necessary step in the install.
>
> *However* I do see your point there because group policy editing is not as easy on Windows 7 Home as it is on Windows server - I had forgotten about that.
>
> Typically I don't use database control and automatic maintenance jobs as the Oracle server on my laptop is more for playing with the advanced options such as partitioning, spatial etc. Nothing on my laptop Oracle version I can't recreate easily so I don't spend time treating it as I would a production db. I use sqldeveloper, Toad, sqlplus and command line utilities for 99% of my activities so dbcontrol is not needed.
>
> So, I can see your point if you're going to want some of those features for some reason.

I would offer that the majority of people who have a Windows Home edition, and who want to install Oracle Server, are doing so specifically to go through a course on Oracle, usually to get their OCP. And those people MUST become familiar with DB Control.

One of the reasons I've minimized my time on the Oracle DB Forums is the number of people who have that specific combination and who do not have the skills to fix it themselves nor Google for possible solutions. (The next crop of DBAs ...)