Re: Urgent Notification for all eBS users!

From: Kurt Van Meerbeeck <kurtvm_at_telenet.be>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:49:32 +0200 (CEST)

We are running Forms 10.1.2.3 with java 1.7 with a couple hundred users without problems. (for over 6months now)
I'm also running some custom Forms apps with java 1.7 without issues. We use the Forms bootstrapper I've written so we don't need to change anything on the client-side.

cheers,
Kurt

  • Original Message ----- From: "Brandon Allen" <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> To: "Mark Bobak" <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>, oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:44:23 PM Subject: RE: Urgent Notification for all eBS users!

I agree disabling the JRE auto-update is probably the safest (and supported) route, but just in case anyone is interested in proceeding with the upgrade to Java 7, I have tested it with Oracle Forms 10.1.2.3 (not EBS) and at first I received the misleading error "FRM-92095: Oracle Jinitiator version too low", but then I was able to get Forms to work by adding the following JRE runtime parameter as described here (see the Update at the bottom of the article and more detail in the comments): http://www.ora600.be/FRM-92095%3A+Oracle+Jnitiator+version+too+low+-+please+install+version+1.1.8.2+or+higher

-Djava.vendor="Sun Microsystems Inc."

I've had several users running Oracle Forms with Java 7 for a month or so now and they've said it actually runs BETTER than Java 6 did. They were having some problems with Forms intermittently not responding to keyboard input on Java 6 (possibly only occurred when using IE9), but that problem went away when they upgraded to Java 7.

The only problem we have noticed when running Forms on Java 7 is that on our login screen the Tab key doesn't work so the users have to enter their username and then mouse-click into the password field to enter their password rather than tabbing into it. Again, this is with a 3rd party app running on Forms - not EBS so I have no idea if EBS would have this same problem or not.

Regards,
Brandon