Re: Virtualbox images for EM 12c, DataGuard, RAC, GoldenGate / run multiple simultaneous OL5 images on Win7?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:56:47 -0600

I do a hands-on seminar on Data Guard for which I start with the Developer Days VM, do a clone, and re-network the clone. No additional software is required, as Data Guard is in theDB kernel. EM12c could be interesting if you could fit it into a system under 4GB RAM - tight, though, and EM tends not to survive VM reboots.

RAC becomes a challenge in part because it needs multiple hosts and shared disk, and as of yet, Oracle does not have a template. Search around, though, as there are plenty of step-by-steps that I've stumbled across to do that in VMWare, and I'm pretty sure that can be adopted.

I often run multiple VMs simultaneously - it all depends on the resources required by the VM and by the host. If 2 VMs require 4GB RAM each, you might find it excruciatingly slow to run even on your machine. (One of the reasons I just ordered the new MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM) Bare metal? Do you mean, does it provide it's own Dom0? Nope. Like VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox requires a host operating system - Mac, Win or Linux.

As for performance hit, that kind-a depends on what else your host operating system is doing. It really boils down to "How much memory does each VM need, and how much memory does your host OS have left to give?" If you try to run a VM which having a video editing tool open at the same time, you will likely have challenges. You need to answer this one yourself by looking at your habits and doing the math.

Many people will simply monitor the VirtualBox site to determine which VMs are built and find out when new ones are released. There are other VMs there, that I find useful, but I'm not sure whether you will want them. My experience is that Oracle builds the VMs for OOW or for specific demos, and then *eventually* releases them to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html

But you gotta get the VMs from an official Oracle site, since by license agreement, we can not re-distribute any Oracle product. Makes it difficult for non-Oracle people to build a new VM and make it simply downloadable. When you download the database, you explicitly agree that the copy is for your won use and you will not redistribute it. Providing step-by-step instructions, as you can get from http://otn.oracle.com and searching for Articles, is a possibility.