Any reason not to have logic in the db?

From: Paul Linehan <linehanp_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:29:25 +0100

Hi all,

Apart from my various meanderings as a DBA and programmer, I am also in College by night and thus want to get at the fundamentals of CS and databases.

I don't profess to being an expert (I wish!), but I believe that I've grasped at least the rudiments of my field, i.e. databases and how they should be used.

I've read loads (apart from my studies) of blogs and Oracle (which as we all know, has its flaws) books.

What I want to know is: Is there any reason whatsoever to have logic outside the database that could potentially be kept there - notably CHECKs, CONSTRAINTs, TRIGGERs, containing possibly complex PL/SQL - i.e., it's sort of a question about App-tiers vs. DB.

My own opinion (to put my cards on the table) is that "logic" should be stored as far down the stack as possible (DB, first, then app-server... &c).

Anyone know of any counter-examples?

TIA and rgs,

Paul...