Connecting as sysdba without password

From: Steve Wales <sjwales_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:51:31 -0600

I've just inherited an Oracle 8.1.7 database on Windows 2000.

No one has the SYS / SYSTEM passwords.

I've logged onto the server as an local administrator, domain admin and I'm also a member of the ORA_DBA group.

Drop to a CMD prompt, set ORACLE_SID=SID name and try to connect to that via a TNS entry or the Oracle SID.

Trying to connect /_at_DBNAME as SYSDBA or INTERNAL, for both I get ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.

Is there some other group or something else I'm missing ?

Need to be able to get control of this database.

Thanks
Steve