Re: Lost connection on RAC db

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:22:32 +0200

  On 07/06/2012 22:41, Alex Cwb wrote:

[...]
> I want to monitor the behavior of one session for example. When I check in
> which Rac instance the connection is being handled, lets say Node 1 ... and
> later for some reason this node goes down. What happen is that the user
> loses the conection and it needs to re-connect to the app in order to use
> again.
>
> Is that correct this behavior??
> I remember some Oracle presentations when a connection trought Sqlplus is
> opened directly to the Rac db, and later that node goes down. As soon
> as Oracle detects what happened, that sqlplus connection is "transfered" to
> the other node (to be handled by another node), and to the user is almost
> transparent, except the little time that kind of "freezes" the connection.
>
> What can I do in order to have the same behavior using OAS as middletier??
> Is it normal to have this behavior in environment?
>
> Using Oracle Rac 11g R2 and OAS 10.1.2.3, both on HP-UX.

Hi Alex,
usually you need to enable TAF (I prefer to do it at service level, see docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e16795/hafeats.htm#RACAD8268 and docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/network.111/b28316/advcfg.htm#BABDIEJF) to handle certain scenarios.

Oracle Forms may need special attention though: some not so recent threads on the OTN forums suggest that TAF "doesn't work well" with Oracle Forms,
you'll need to test it.

I found some bugs related to Oracle Forms and TAF (Note ID 290152.1) but the version you're using doesn't seem to be affected.

Hope this helps
Dimitre