RE: VLDB ASM & SAN Striping Question

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:18:02 -0500

Understood - in my scenario I only used a small number of disks as an example. In real life, the numbers would be much larger - I would always want *many* disks/spindles forming a logical unit - which now brings us back to the Oracle doc where it says:

"Oracle ASM can be used on top of previously striped storage devices. If you use such a configuration, then ensure that you do not introduce hot spots by defining disk groups that span *logical devices which physically may be using the same resource (disk, controller, or channel to disk) rather than other available resources.* "

The assumption in that statement is that a SAN administrator (or array administrator) can purposefully create the LUN (logical device) across disks and controllers and that Oracle recommends doing so. (Hence my questions) :)

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.