RE: VLDB ASM & SAN Striping Question

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:18:42 -0500

Okay - now I'm following. My apologies.

So the key is to focus on disk groups - and in a different product, a SAN administrator should be able to identify specific disks easily to assign to a disk group? I would assume this would follow to controllers as well?

Something like this:

  1. Identify Controllers (primary controllers as I assume more than 1 controller can control the same disk in case of failure in the controller?)
  2. Identify Disks attached to that controller
  3. Create DG from those disks attached to that controller

*OR* would it make more sense from an IO perspective to:

  1. Identify Controllers
  2. Identify Disks attached to all controllers
  3. Create DG from disks from each controller (instead of disks on 1 controller?)

I'm imagining a scenario like:

Disks 1,2,3,4 on controller1
Disks 5,6,7,8 on controller2

Create DG#1 on Disks 1,5 instead of Disks 1,2 to spread IO across both the disks and the controllers?

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort." -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.