cursor sharing in 11g

From: ed lewis <eglewis71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:16:53 -0400

Hello,

    We are moving an app from 10.2 to 11.2.0.3. As recommended by the vendor, the cursor_sharing parameter was set to "force". From what I understand, this should enable "adaptive cursor sharing". In 10.2, cursor_sharing was set to "similar".

    After the move to 11g, we experienced issues with several queries, where perfromance would vary dramatically. It appeared the optimizer would choose a good plan, and next time would choose a poor plan. In most cases, it did not revert back to the good plan.

    We decided to set cursor sharing to "exact". Once we did that, we experienced consistently good performance from these queries, and overall good performance. For now, we plan to leave cursor sharing to "exact".

    What kind of performance have you seen with ACS ? Anything similar to us ?

    Thanks for your time.

ed

solaris 10
oracle 11.2.0.3