inefficient sql

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:14:54 -0500

I'm interested in creating a daily report to run in our development environments to spot inefficient SQL early in the process. I've already got one that lists top ten highest elapsed time and top ten most frequently executed. They have helped tremendously in focusing on the right SQL. However, there is often SQL here that makes its way into integration and production that could be improved upon. (Yes I know where SQL falls in the optimization hierarchy and am well aware that business tasks are what are important but these reports have proved their value over and over.)

I'm pretty confident that a ratio of LIO's to rows returned by each row operation in an SQL execution plan is a good indicator of SQL efficiency. I think I've heard this in a few different presentations. I don't, however, recall what that ratio should be or if I'm misremembering completely.

What do you all consider good indicators of inefficient SQL and how to you identify those statements?

Thanks!
Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.