Re: Are there features on other RDBMS's that it would be good for Oracle to have?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:19:24 -0300

On 29/05/2012 3:23 AM, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> |I never did understand why you couldn't assign synonyms to roles.
>
> But what if you use the same synonym name in two different ways and then
> grant both role to the same user ?
>
> create synonym role1.XXX for schemaA.tableA;
> create synonym role2.XXX for schemaB.tableB
>
> grant role1, role2 to userU;

Good point.

Perhaps 'role.synonym' could become a conflict resolution technique. Or a precedence rule. Or default flag.

Not dissimilar to needing to understand rules when granting / revoking object privs. And not as cumbersome as needing to manage thousands of private synonyms for thousands of users, and then trying to find the missing ones when a new view has been added.