Re: Are there features on other RDBMS's that it would be good for Oracle to have?

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 20:36:18 +1000

Nuno Souto wrote,on my timestamp of 28/05/2012 12:14 AM:

> Proxy logins don't let me do that: the target automatically assumes any roles
> assigned to the target login. Which in most cases is the schema owner. Not
> exactly what I wanted: I don't want everyone able to drop a table!

Apologies, forgot to add: in 11.2.0.3 I don't have this problem, just re-confirmed. Only in 10g. Dunno why, "feature"? But the synonym management issue is still there, of course. Which is bypassed in my case with the login trigger.
Still would like to have everything controlled by context. I can do that easily with MSSQL: assign a default schema to any login, with access rights specified by schema.

That means I can have the same app's objects defined multiple times in a single instance, within a dedicated "schema" for each. For example: one for Australia, one for NZ, one for Europe, one for SAmerica, one for NAmerica. Same table names, different owners, different sets of logins for each, no synonyms anywhere. Dirt easy to do with MSSQL - a royal pain with Oracle necessitating the use of a login trigger and a control table - or multiple instances... And yet so easy to resolve with the simple concept of assigning current_schema via context - one for each continent - and then giving each login one of those contexts.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto