RE: Using "> /dev/null 2>&1" in 11g RMan

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 12:48:05 -0400

For what it's worth, NOT being able to alter or escape special characters in the command line mode of a tool fails to live up to MOSES. I believe RMAN was originally intended to be a paragon of MOSES compliance. (In most regards it is. Looks like non-MOSES compatibility crept in. Sorry I missed the beta on that one.

mwf

From: Michael Dinh <mdinh_at_XIFIN.Com> To: "'japplewhite_at_austinisd.org'" <japplewhite_at_austinisd.org>, "Oracle-L_at_freelists.org" <Oracle-L_at_freelists.org> Date: 05/24/2012 05:36 PM

Would you entertain something like?

1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

This way it won't conflict with &1 &2

Michael Dinh
Disparity Breaks Automation (DBA)

Being new to 11g, I just found out that &1, &2 sqlplus-type substitution variables can be used in RMan. I have 10g RMan scripts in which I redirect output from some Host commands via "> /dev/null 2>&1". Of course 11g RMan now asks for the value of &1. After searching the docs and Googling, I still can't find out how to change & to, say ~, using something like the sqlplus Set Define command. Can this be done in 11g RMan? Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri May 25 2012 - 11:48:05 CDT

Original text of this message