Re: checking for block corruption

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 12:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

"if I run this will this actually backup the DB? " -- No,  it won't.  But it will read the datafiles as though it would back them up, thus a noarchivelog database cannot be validated in open mode.

David Fitzjarrell

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com> To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 12:43 PM
Subject: checking for block corruption

I need to run a block corruption test. I have a BCV copy of prod I am running this on. We are not using RMAN for prod backups. I can't change this.
DB Version: 10.2.0.5.6
DB Size: 10 TBs
files are on raw partitions
rman target /

backup validate database;

if I run this will this actually backup the DB? When I read the docs they seemed to say it would only do a validate check. We have the DB copy in noarchivelog mode.
When I ran that command I get:

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 05/21/2012 16:05:09
ORA-19602: cannot backup or copy active file in NOARCHIVELOG mode

If backup validate only checks for block corruption why does it care if I am in archivelog mode ( i know i can bounce the db or turn it off. I want to  make sure I'm not actually taking a backup).

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon May 21 2012 - 14:44:34 CDT

Original text of this message