Re: checking for block corruption

From: <wblanchard_at_oshkoshcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:21:48 -0500

Your database has to be in archivelog mode for RMAN.

WGB From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com> To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: 05/21/2012 02:08 PM

Subject:        checking for block corruption
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

I need to run a block corruption test. I have a BCV copy of prod I am running this on. We are not using RMAN for prod backups. I can't change this.
DB Version: 10.2.0.5.6
DB Size: 10 TBs
files are on raw partitions
rman target /

backup validate database;

if I run this will this actually backup the DB? When I read the docs they seemed to say it would only do a validate check. We have the DB copy in noarchivelog mode.
When I ran that command I get:

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 05/21/2012 16:05:09
ORA-19602: cannot backup or copy active file in NOARCHIVELOG mode

If backup validate only checks for block corruption why does it care if I am in archivelog mode ( i know i can bounce the db or turn it off. I want to make sure I'm not actually taking a backup).

Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect which might affect any computer system, it is the responsibility of the recipient to check that it is virus-free and the sender accepts no responsibility or liability for any loss, injury, damage, cost or expense arising in any way from receipt or use thereof by the recipient.

The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential information and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above, and may be privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately, delete this material from your computer and destroy all related paper media. Please note that the documents transmitted are not intended to be binding until a hard copy has been manually signed by all parties. Thank you.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon May 21 2012 - 14:21:48 CDT

Original text of this message