Re: OT: sheltered little world i live in -> NODB?

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:37:44 -0300

Uncle Bob does have some valid points, but the rhetoric is disturbingly similar to that of sect leaders. And I fear that's just what he is, one in a bunch of people who think like him and they validate each other. Database or no database is not a problem of where you come from, but of your own design ability. I tend to think of applications as database centric because I tend to think about applications to make my life easier, and that usually means historic data and persistence. I tend to program in PL/SQL and C# because those are the languages I'm comfortable with, I wonder if Uncle Bob has a preferred development language or model (like java, c#, or a more general object oriented vs procedural). Just like not every problem is a nail, not every problem is a screw either.

Now, there is value in a strong RDBMS, specially if you need to be able to depend on the data you have. Backing up plain files can be messy and difficult to restore (not that I never found a difficult restore scenario with a database) and validating those backups usually requires dumping them somewhere. If the data of who logs on to the network is essential for somebody, then why not store it in a properly maintained database? (not saying Oracle).

I think we had this discussion a few months ago when somebody mentioned NoSQL... but I'm too tired/lazy to look for the thread.

As an interesting sidenote, I'm learning to develop games (as a hobby) and the thought of using a database didn't even cross my mind. Interestingly enough, neither did using flat files... When I come to the problem of making the game data persistent I will choos the appropriate method.

Alan.-