RE: sheltered little world i live in -> NODB?

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:46:40 -0500

I work with more and more developers with this or a similar idea. I read somewhere, sometime about those who are unfamiliar with history...something..something...destined to repeat it... :)

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.

From: Paul Drake [mailto:bdbafh_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:36 PM
To: Stephens, Chris
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: OT: sheltered little world i live in -> NODB?

Chris,

So this person thinks that the use cases will be nailed down up front? For some probably strange reason I find that to be quite funny.

If we idealize the problem and assume away all of the other details it really is just that simple. Just have a "database" for each use case and when new use cases develop write some interface between the data stored for each of the use cases. Each can reside in memory only.
Brilliant!

I think that it will only require one table with 1023 columns each with datatype anydata. That way it will be flexible. And it will only require one sequence.

Paul
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com<mailto:Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>> wrote: I understand many still like to see business logic placed outside of the database and that ORM's are very popular but I didn't expect to see experienced software developers to have opinions like this: http://blog.8thlight.com/uncle-bob/2012/05/15/NODB.html

From what I can tell, this guy has written a several very popular books and articles on software development.

Not sure why I'm posting this to the list other than the fact that I just didn't expect something like this to pop up in my RSS reader.

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.

http://www.completestreets.org/faq.html
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue May 15 2012 - 14:46:40 CDT

Original text of this message