ADVM volumes metadata backup

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 21:10:24 +0200

Hi all,
does anybody know how ADVM volume metadata is supposed to be backed up?

I mean, today we intentionally corrupted our test RAC env, I executed several dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/partition bs=... count=... in order to corrupt the disks, we wanted to test our restore and recovery procedures.

Almost everything went fine: I brought crs up in exclusive mode, restored the asm disk groups structure (md_restore), the ocr and the voting disks,
I recreated the asm spfile, then I restored the database without problems.

We have a an acfs general purpose filesystem and md_(backup|restore) don't seem to handle ADVM volume information so I recreated the volume and the filesystem manually (I had backed up the filesystem's content before the test with tar (TSM doesn't seem to support acfs filesystems).

I suppose there's a better way for backing up and restoring ADVM volumes ...

Thanks
Dimitre