RE: Backing up RAC server filesystems

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 19:40:02 +0000

Yes, that is why I'm asking this question. Of course these types of backups likely wouldn't cover why the thing crashed, but I'm assuming to be safe I would need to backup all local filesystems, not just my /oracle.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Walker, Jed S Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 4:24 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Backing up RAC server filesystems

I am trying to get offline backups configured for my RAC server nodes. I was planning on having all local filesystems backed up, but the offline backup team says they don't backup the OS by default because it can be re-installed. My hope is that in the event the local disk on the server goes out it could be replaced and a restore done and the node restarted. Given that RAC modifies a lot on the OS I'm not sure this would work at all if all that was backed up was /oracle. Is this a good strategy (backing up all filesystems)? Am I better to rebuild the node, do a deletenode and then addnode? Other thoughts?

Thanks,

  • Jed

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed May 02 2012 - 14:40:02 CDT

Original text of this message